News   Shop Online   Articles   Healthy Recipes   Definitions   About Us   Healthy Tips   Buyers Guide 

Group Fitness

View Jim Karas' A Business Plan for the Body

View Jim Karas' Latest Book

Articles Home\Group Fitness\Cardio Confusion
 Cardio Confusion by Jim Karas    
email to friend   print friendly

Jim Karas


Cardio Confusion


  Lift And You Will Lose!  Weight, That is

By: Jim Karas

It seems as if a day cannot go by without the media bombarding us with all sorts of conflicting information regarding cardiovascular exercise. Those of you who have heard me on this subject know that I am not a fan of cardiovascular exercise when it comes to weight loss. To achieve long-term successful weight loss, you should allocate 25% of your exercise cardio class time to cardiovascular exercise, and the remaining 75% should be devoted to strength and resistance exercise. Translation, if you workout for 40 minutes, then start with a 10 minute cardio warm-up followed by 30 minutes of strength and resistance training.

"To achieve long-term successful weight loss, you should allocate 25% of your exercise time to cardiovascular exercise, and the remaining 75% should be devoted to strength and resistance exercise."
Even the cardio proponents are in disagreement. First, we heard that to lose weight, the average person requires 60 minutes of cardio a day. Within that 60-minute recommendation, were such activities as cleaning, gardening, washing the car, shopping, etc., in addition to many others. Bottom line, they said keep moving for a total of 60 minutes each day. All of these activities are beneficial, however, so many individuals translate this advice into, "I'll stay on the treadmill, StairMaster or elliptical for 60 minutes. I'll keep moving and the weight will fly off." Wrong. An hour on these machines will not get you to your weight loss goal, however, by performing some of the recommended "keep moving activities" you'll be accomplishing some of life's necessary activities.

It Is All About Heart Rate

This past week, research from Europe stated that walking does little or nothing to reduce the risk of heart disease. For the most part that is correct. What they neglected to tell us is that it is all about heart rate. Take an out of shape person for a walk, just a moderately heart rate brisk walk, and their heat rate will race. I used to make my grandmother, whom we call "yia yia" in Greek, for lunch and purposely make her walk for 20 minutes to the restaurant. She was in her 80s, and her heart rate would be about 120 beats per minute. That's all that matters. Not the activity, but the heart rate the activity produces.

Running is more intense than walking and obviously produces a higher heart rate. Walking on an incline will also produce a higher rate. Keep in mind, that for those individuals who are in shape, these activities will not necessary produce a higher heart rate. Their hearts are conditioned to this level of activity. In order for them to increase their heart rate they will have to constantly increase the level of activity, something that eventually becomes impractical, if not impossible.

"I hate to see fit people moseying on a treadmill. Unless they plan on staying all day…"
So, it's not the activity. It's your fitness level. I hate to see fit people moseying on a treadmill. Unless they plan on staying all day, it will not do much for their risk of heart disease, nor will it burn many calories - remember, the higher the intensity, the more calories burned.

I have recently been in San Francisco on business. The hills are a killer - not easy walking. Anyone who has walked up Nob Hill would agree. So perform all the gardening, car washing, walking the dog, cleaning of your home you want, but realize that these activities along with strolling on the cardio equipment is not going to facilitate weight loss. What will facilitate weight loss, permanent weight loss, is strength and resistance training. Lift and you will lose!

About Jim Karas


end of story

Reviews Write A Review
by Courtney Cross
alpha shred
Co takes a lot less time ago Osama chap lice metropolis up medium and their show the final product after August Syria I've got all my alpha shred chicken kookier and this is all the fat here premier 150 Rand Paul two hundred and I'll to inoculate I got so now I know is the best part and that is where season this so when you're on a bodybuilding type dialogue.
by jki
Thanks Happy Diwali 2014 HD Wallpapers Happy Diwali 2014 Images Diwali 2014 Images Pictures Dhanteras HD wallpapers Happy Diwali 2014 Rangoli Designs photos Diwali Facebook covers 2014 Diwali wallpaper 2014 for Desktop and PC Thanks
by rpriya
Friendship Day 2014 Quotes Happy Friendship Day 2014 SMS Happy Friendship Day Images Happy Friendship Day Greetings Happy Friendship Day Wishes Happy Friendship Day Messages Happy Friendship Day Quotes Happy Friendship Day Wallpapers Happy Friendship Day SMS Happy Friendship Day Pics Happy Friendship Day Pictures Friendship Day 2014 Images Friendship Day Images 2014 Friendship Day Images Friendship Day Greetings Friendship Day Wishes Friendship Day Messages Friendship Day Quotes Friendship Day Wallpapers Friendship Day SMS When is Friendship day friendship day pics friendship day photos friendship day cards Friendship Day Images Quotes Top Friendship Day Quotes Friendship Day Images Greetings Friendship Day Images for Facebook Friendship Day HD Wallpapers Thanks for the article
by Tonomoy
Great post
EID Mubarak 2014 EID Mubarak Happy EID Mubarak 2014 SMS Happy EID Mubarak 2014 Wallpapers Happy EID Mubarak 2014 Greetings Happy EID Mubarak 2014 Wishes Happy EID Mubarak 2014 Cards Happy EID Mubarak 2014 Date Happy EID Mubarak 2014 EID Mubarak Greetings EID Mubarak Greetings 2014 EID Mubarak Wishes 2014 EID Mubarak Wishes EID 2014 Wallpapers EID Mubarak Wallpapers 2014 EID Mubarak Cards EID Mubarak Cards 2014 EID Mubarak Wallpapers EID Mubarak SMS EID SMS 2014 EID Mubarak Messages EID Messages 2014 EID Text Messages 2014 EID Mubarak Greetings Cards Free Download EID Mubarak Messages in Hindi EID Mubarak SMS in Urdu EID Mubarak Messages in Urdu EID Mubarak SMS in Hindi EID Mubarak Images EID Mubarak Pictures
by china wholesale jerseys
china wholesale jerseys
Life lies in sports, people are very fond of sports. the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc many sports are very popular in USA , also has created many sports stars, as a fans if you want to buy china wholesale jerseys,hockey jerseys wholesale please come to our website
by coco
cheap nfl jerseys
That's the clear message the Philadelphia Eagles sent Sunday when they announced a two-year, Cheap NBA Jersey,$125 million revitalization project for Lincoln Financial nike air max The series of projects -- expected to be completed in time for the 2014 regular season -- is an effort to enhance the fan experience through better convenience,MLB jerseys online, comfort and connections, according to the Eagles.China NHL Jerseys Among the numerous new amenities fans can expect are two new HD video boards at both ends of the stadium, wholesale china jerseys,a seating bowl expansion that will add 1,600 seats, two connecting bridges, new style nfl jerseys,an upgraded sound system and an integrated Wi-Fi system. wholesale cheap jerseys,Also, all suites will be upgraded with new carpeting and furniture in time for the upcoming season. By 2014, all suits will have upgraded audio/visual capabilities with brand new LED televisions.wholesale china jerseys As part of the project, wholesale nfl jersey and new era hat,the Eagles also are honoring their storied history by displaying images of the greatest players and most memorable moments in franchise history throughout the stadium. wholesale china jerseys 2013 NFL jerseys
by kidhunter
china NHL jerseys
Maybe Jagr, a 41-year-old who often makes self-deprecating jokes about his advanced age,Wholesale MLB Jerseys had caught a chill after the Bruins hung on for a 1-0 victory Friday night in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Final against the Pittsburgh Penguins.China NHL Jerseys More likely,new style jerseys he wanted to remind himself -- and everyone else -- that the Bruins have not accomplished anything yet.
by coachkors Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Bags Outlet Gucci Outlet Online north face jackets outlet monster headphones outlet Coach Factory Outlet Coach Store Online Coach Bags Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Online Coach Outlet Coach Factory Store Coach Outlet Online USA

Powered by Blueprint Solution
© 2007 Blueprint Solution, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Use. Privacy Statement.